Thursday, April 1, 2010

Ears to hear...

John 15: 15-17 "No longer do I call you servants for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends; for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name he may give it to you. These things I command you , so that you will love one another. "

Today I got to talk with a wonderful "old" friend. I didn't ask if I could write about her on this blog so I won't use her name, but I will say that this friend is such a wonderful example of how we should serve and trust our faithful Savior each and every day well into old(er) age. She has been such a sweet encouragement each time Kyle and I have shared with her and her husband about our plans to work in missions. Today was no different.


Our conversation was brief, but as I have learned over the years that it is sometimes the brief conversations and passing words from a fellow believer that can make the most difference. As we have been going through the process of support raising we have received much needed advice, warnings, encouragements, etc. One of the primary things that comes up again and again is to not be surprised when large portions of our needs aren't met until the last minute. Well, that just sets my stomach to churning. I don't want to have to have that kind of faith.

She shared with me a story about a missionary couple that did not have the money to buy their plane tickets on the day that they had planned to leave for the field. Nonetheless, they packed up all of their belongings and went to the airport. They waited there until someone walked up to them with an envelope with the funds they needed to buy their tickets. Listening to this story I realized that it isn't that I don't believe that God can provide. I am just not sure that I have the faith to pack all of my stuff up and wait. I've heard stories like that a million times. What I realized today is that I believe that God will fulfill His part of the story, but I am a little wary of being the one in the story. It means that I am not in control.

I can say this on behalf of both myself and Kyle, pray that we would be willing to give that control over to the Lord. He is sufficient.

Thanks sweet friend for allowing the Lord to use you to reveal the hard spots in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Jess I loved this post! We all have those hard spots in our hearts. Surrendering control of our wills and blindly following/obeying is soooooooooooooo very, very hard. I will pray for you guys (and I'm praying about the same thing for my own heart too :-))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting our corner of the web! Leave a comment to let us know you stopped by!

~Kyle and Jessica Hoover

Related Posts with Thumbnails